Icmeler Dogs Home

Photo Gallery for Icmeler, Marmaris and Turunc.

Moderator: blondie

Icmeler Dogs Home

Postby Colette » 02 Feb 2011 16:42

As most of you know, we did a sponsored walk last year, where we sent Jayne ( Kelebek ) Daz ( Mr Kelebek ) and Norman ( Mr Dimrie ) up to the Icmeler Flag to raise money for the dogs home and the street cats.

We raised 310 TL, so I hired a car and tootled off to the shops in the piddling rain to get the animals some food.

Food cost 265 TL and we gave them the rest in cash, have some more pics but they need scanning in as they were taken on a normal camera.

Thanks to everyone who took part and everyone who gave money, goodies and treats for them :D
Colette

Advertisement

Re: Icmeler Dogs Home

Postby adewolves » 02 Feb 2011 17:19

Lovely pics, but where is the dogs home, I know this has been asked before on other threads but I still can't fathom out where it is. We asked in a few bars last year but they didn't know where it was either. My daughter would love to visit there this year so any advice would be most welcome, we're staying at the alvaro if thats any help.
adewolves

Postby Colette » 02 Feb 2011 17:34

I can only describe it as walk up to the old village following the dry canal, right to the end, Past the Mola aparts on your left, then you see Tommys Bar on your left, take a left ( the road only goes left or right ) keep walking and on the left you see the Pinar Factory, now there was no big sign last year saying dogs home, so I went tootling past it in the car :lol: but just after the Pinar on the left there is a road and a big sort of open space, if you head for that , thats the dogs home entrance.

Just stop at Tommys Bar ( you will need to by now its a 30 min walk ) and he will direct you from there

Ask in any bar for The Pinar factory, and you can't go wrong, even I found it,,,,, in the end :lol:
Colette

Postby sausages » 16 Feb 2011 20:03

Hi Colette,
Thanks for the great pics of the dogs. I loved visiting there last year and since being home i have sent 3 parcels to Jan with leads,collars,toys and treats and also raised £245 for the dogs which i am in the process of sending to her.
I can't wait for August to get here so i can see the dogs again.
Wendyx
sausages

Postby blondie » 16 Feb 2011 21:05

Well done Wendy, that's a brilliant amount to raise and a fantastic gesture which will be much appreciated!
blondie

Postby Colette » 17 Feb 2011 12:54

Wendy thats brilliant, they will be so happy, I am there at end of April, so can't wait to go visit them again. I couldn't stay long when I was there as it was having some Icmeler rain, but the lady told me they were raising money to get a roof put over the compound.

I also read on the council site, that there is a cat neutering programme in place now which is great news :D
Colette

Advertisement

Postby mickyq » 02 Jul 2011 11:15

just thought id bump this post as we are all heading off to our paradise. they want leads n collers etc. you can walk the dogs and leave donations.
mickyq

Postby Jay Trip » 04 Jul 2011 23:00

Does anyone know if the large dog with the clipped ears in photo 6 has been adopted by anyone?
I am sure I saw him in our town last week.
Jay Trip

Postby tinamike99 » 05 Jul 2011 22:11

Jay Trip wrote:Does anyone know if the large dog with the clipped ears in photo 6 has been adopted by anyone?
I am sure I saw him in our town last week.

hi "jay trip" I was in icmeler from june 11 to 25 and visited the dogs home your friend with the clipped ears was in there along with many others, by the way i took one chap out for a good walk he only had one eye so i nicknamed him nelson.
tinamike99

Postby Jay Trip » 06 Jul 2011 21:54

Thanks Tinamike,The dog I saw was so much like him I was hoping he had been adopted.
When we go in October we are hoping to stay in the village so will pop in and take some dogs out for a walk.
We dog sit for 5 weeks in the summer holidays so it will be a treat to do it on holiday. :)
Jay Trip

Postby Colette » 07 Jul 2011 12:41

From Tommys take a left, walk for 10 mins, till you see Pinar factory on your left, woof woofs home is just after the next road on your left :)
Colette

Advertisement

Postby janeypoos » 13 Jul 2011 09:43

I've only just found this thread. We are out in August, staying at Sarigul apartments so I assume we won't be very far from this home.
Can anyone tell me who it's run by please? Is it a municipal 'shelter' or a charity refuge?
We will be leaving our beloved Border Terrier called Bob for the first time so I know both myself and my son will be missing the canine company, is it possible to just pop alone and help out for a while?
I'm sure I'll be able to find some extra space in my suitcase for a few leads, colloars, toys etc. :)
janeypoos

Postby tinamike99 » 24 Jul 2011 12:08

allright janeypoos( like the name), as far as i am aware the dogs home is a charity refuge and is run by a local woman.I took a black labrador with only one eye out for a walk during our stay in june brilliant on the lead considering i was a stranger to him,they really appreciate any gifts taken out for them.I was told to go about 9am when its cooler and after 5pm if you want to take the dogs out, if you manage it could you let me know if the labrador still in there enjoy your holiday
tinamike99

Postby sausages » 24 Jul 2011 20:22

Hi Tinamike99 and Janeypoos,

The Doghouse as it is called is run by a Turkish lady called Dr Semin and an English lady called Jan. The local authorities(The Beledisiyi) i think i have spelt it wrong they funded the pound and the 2 ladies run it with the help from a few others. They are always trying to raise funds for the pound as there are huge vets bills that need paying and various other bills. I have raised money here at home, doing car boots and getting donations from my dog walking friends. I have also sent parcels of leads,collars and treats out for the dogs and when i return in 4 weeks i have got more stuff to take with me.
Last year myself and my partner walked 18 of the dogs, not all together i may add but 4 at a time and it was great. We were also in the main area with about 20 loose dogs and it was wonderful as they all wanted cuddles and attention.
The dogs love seeing visitors and love being taken out and this really helps Jan and Semin.
Jan and Semin do a fantastic job dedicating their lives to looking after over 50 dogs who are resident at the moment.
Anyone who fancies going and walking the dogs do go up there as it is lovely to see how well looked after they are. If you need directions pop into the 3 bells on the top road and someone will point you in the right direction.
Tinamike99, i will look out for your black lab and let you know how he is getting on.

Wendy x
sausages

Postby tinamike99 » 25 Jul 2011 21:07

keep up the good work wendy, hope to revisit the dogs soon.
tinamike99

Postby janeypoos » 26 Jul 2011 06:38

sausages wrote:Hi Tinamike99 and Janeypoos,

The Doghouse as it is called is run by a Turkish lady called Dr Semin and an English lady called Jan. The local authorities(The Beledisiyi) i think i have spelt it wrong they funded the pound and the 2 ladies run it with the help from a few others. They are always trying to raise funds for the pound as there are huge vets bills that need paying and various other bills. I have raised money here at home, doing car boots and getting donations from my dog walking friends. I have also sent parcels of leads,collars and treats out for the dogs and when i return in 4 weeks i have got more stuff to take with me.
Last year myself and my partner walked 18 of the dogs, not all together i may add but 4 at a time and it was great. We were also in the main area with about 20 loose dogs and it was wonderful as they all wanted cuddles and attention.
The dogs love seeing visitors and love being taken out and this really helps Jan and Semin.
Jan and Semin do a fantastic job dedicating their lives to looking after over 50 dogs who are resident at the moment.
Anyone who fancies going and walking the dogs do go up there as it is lovely to see how well looked after they are. If you need directions pop into the 3 bells on the top road and someone will point you in the right direction.
Tinamike99, i will look out for your black lab and let you know how he is getting on.

Wendy x

Aww thanks for that info Wendy, I will be sure to pop along and hopefully help out if we can.
I bought some collars last week, wanted to take leads as well but I could only get chain ones and we've got to be careful on luggage weight so I'll just stick to the collars and I'll get some treats also.

Do you think flea drops and worming tablets would be a good idea too? I won't be able to afford many as they are quite expensive but even just a few might help.

Thanks again,
Jane.
janeypoos

Advertisement

Postby sausages » 26 Jul 2011 13:09

Hi Janeypoos,

I will check with Jan about the flea drops and worming tabs and let you know.

Wendy x
sausages

Postby sausages » 27 Jul 2011 15:07

Hi again Janeypoos, I asked Jan and she said yes please as all that sort of stuff is very expensive out there.

Wendy x :D
sausages

Postby janeypoos » 27 Jul 2011 15:28

Thanks Wendy :-)

It won't be a lot because it is expensive for me too (my dog is not well and the vets bills are terrible!) but i shall bring something.
janeypoos

Postby Colette » 27 Jul 2011 16:53

If anyone is on facebook we have a facebook site for Jan and the animal welfare over there

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9642706851
Colette

• Advertisement

Next

Return to Photo Gallery.